[OSM-talk] Too many nodes?

Karl Newman siliconfiend at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 16:28:47 BST 2008

On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 5:52 AM, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 2:23 PM, Brian Quinion
> <openstreetmap at brian.quinion.co.uk> wrote:
> >  >  IIRC, Mapnik supports bezier hinting for quite a while now, just
> >  >  no-one has gone and updated the stylesheet to use it.
> >
> >  I was looking for these options the other day for a map I was doing
> >  but came to the conclusion that they had not yet been exposed at the
> >  stylesheet level.
> >
> >  Do you have a short example of how to enable this?
>
> Interesting, Artem sent a mail in January that he was working on it
> and I foolishly assumed that meant he was working on it in SVN.
> However looking through the source it seems you are right, there's
> nothing there.
>
> I'll bug him to release a patch at least so we can play with it.
>
> Have a nice day,
> --
> Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog at gmail.com> http://svana.org/kleptog/

This bezier stuff is nice for the renderers, but it shouldn't be a
substitute for having enough nodes to define the curve. Don't forget there
are other data consumers/renderers that may not have the ability to do
bezier curves. Extra nodes can always be reduced by using a simplification
algorithm if the number of nodes is a problem for a particular application.

Karl