[OSM-talk] psv definition

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Sat Apr 19 17:39:58 BST 2008

Ben Laenen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Could someone give a proper definition of what vehicles are included
> with "psv" (public service vehicle). I always thought it was all kinds
> of public transport (including trams, taxis, trolleys, buses -- but no
> coaches for example), while some pages on the wiki seem to suggest it's
> a synonym for "bus"...

I think in the UK 'psv' is essentially a 'bus'. My son holds a TAXI licence
that allows him to carry up to 6 people but only pre-arranged runs, or from a
taxi rank. If he wants to charge separate fares to each of those people then
he needs to obtain an additional PSV licence, but that would normally only be
granted if he switched to a vehicle licensed for 9 or more people. i.e. a
Minibus or larger vehicle. There are exemptions to the need for a psv licence
but any vehicle carrying more than 9 people 'for hire or reward' does require
a psv licence, so coaches are not exempt, and I understand that the luxury 9
seater coaches have now been included where the limit used to be 12 seater.
But James is not sure on that change to the rules.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL