[OSM-talk] Higway tag wiki

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Mon Apr 21 07:37:21 BST 2008

Jeffrey Martin wrote:
> I've been working on other projects lately and not been following the latest
> discussions. While responding to a recent discussion on the mailing list
> I noticed that there is a lot of duplication between
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Highway_tag_usage
>
> and
>
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Key:highway
>
> I like the idea of having a separate usage page, but if I go back
> to that then the info from Key:highway needs to be merged,
> or vis versa if we want to drop the usage page.

Key:highway should be the definitive reference, and in addition
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Mapping/Features/Road should at least
be consistent with it.

Another consistency problem is the use of mixed languages on these reference
pages. While creating a translated page for a language should be the ideal
going forward, any comments added to a section should be in the language of
that page? The long descriptive notes on the International equivalence area
would be more appropriate in a different context, such as a translated copy of
Key:highway or the relevant Tag:highway%3D.... sub page?

Moving around the current maze, I think that what would make a lot of sense
would be for a tidy up of the structure, and form a new style guideline.

-----
Key:highway - Main reference in English
xx:Key:highway - translations
Only use other languages for names and description should be in the language
of the page ( or English if not yet translated ) and any links should be to
articles in the same language as the page.
This section should be general outline with simple equivalences not a detailed
country specific 'debate'
-----
Tag:highway%3D.... - Expanded detail for each tag
xx:Tag:highway%3D.... - translations
As above
-----
highway/<Country>
xx:highway/<Country>
Detailed information of the road structuring in a particular country including
pictures relevant to that country and any discussion on where particular road
types should be included in the general tree.
Tagwatch links for a country should be on this page.
-----

I know I am going to have to learn Polish soon if I am going to get around in
the UK, but lets keep country specific material tidy in it's own sections?

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Editing_Standards_and_Conventions
should perhaps be replaced by expansion of
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Good_practice with the Roads section
of it moved to the right point in the above tree? Many of the comments in
Editing_Standards_and_Conventions could at least be cleaned out?

One thing that does seem to get missed is the fact that where there ARE two
separated carriages, then they each get their own way, with the relevant
detail for each section of carriageway. So discussion on establishing how a
read 'looks' should not assume motorway='barrier separated carriageways', but
rather motorway='a restricted carriageway' for example?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL