[OSM-talk] OSM on "factory" Macs

Gerald A geraldablists at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 15:45:56 BST 2008

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 7:43 AM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:

> I am quite confused now about dragging the map. Many have said that
> using the mouse with JOSM on the Macs does not work very well. But
> then I am told you can use Ctrl "rightclick simulation" to do the
> dragging, and others again say that some applications would use the
> space bar a a modifier key. Why would they, if Ctrl is already built
> in? If somebody can tell me exactly how you would like JOSM to behave
> on a mousically challenged system then we could maybe fix that... my
> first shot would have been supporting a modifier key but obviously
> OSX does that already with Ctrl and it seems not to be what people want?

Really, the easiest thing to do is to re-map the right button on the Mighty
Mouse to "mouse button 2", rather then it's default "mouse button 1" (like
the left button). While I love my Mac, I'm much too used to conventional 3
button mice to accept the "one true button" philosophy of Macdom. I suspect
even hardcore Mac fans click on the left side now for the most part.

It's not huge magic, and I think it's even a user config option, if the
dealer will be setting up users for the show. I don't think they'll even
object, since most PC users (and they account for 90%+ of computer users)
are used to "right-clicking".

This way, the pretty mouse functions like most other mice. And it shows that
OS X has flexibility. :)

Gerald.