[OSM-talk] Highway tagging in the USA

Andy Robinson (blackadder) blackadderajr at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 23 09:23:04 BST 2008

David Earl wrote:
>Sent: 21 April 2008 8:21 PM
>To: Peter Miller
>Cc: 'Talk Openstreetmap'; talk-us at openstreetmap.org
>Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Highway tagging in the USA
>
>On 21/04/2008 19:46, Peter Miller wrote:
>> Also. please could someone to a 'trial render' of the area using one or
>> more potential 'USA friendly' colour schemes so we can see what it would
>> look like. Personally I would be interested in something along these
>lines:
>>
>> Orange and wide: Motoroway/trunk
>>
>> Yellow and wide: Primary
>>
>> Yellow at narrow: secondary
>>
>> Fainted yellow and narrow: tertiary
>
>Curious that you say these are 'USA friendly' colors. I have in front of
>me a Rand-McNally road map of the US, bought and published in the US,
>and the key is as follows:

Seems we have the same map, although mine was produced in the UK by Collins
in Association with Rand McNally. But anyway, looking at other Rand McNally
state maps they all seem to use the same colour scheme that you describe.

As with most countries you find different colour schemes used by different
map producers. For instance, a couple of other CA/SF maps I have show:

Hertz (Produced by Colour-Art Inc) uses:
Freeways: Dark Green with black casing
Tolled: Yellow with black casing
Other 4 lane divided highways. Thin red
Everything else: Thin grey

H.M. Gousha uses:
Freeways: Bluish red with black casing
Tolled: Bluish red with black casing
Other 4 lane divided highways. Orange with black casing
Everything else: Thick black (thin black in urban areas)

Cheers

Andy