[OSM-talk] Tagging climbing routes and scrambles

Andy Robinson (blackadder) blackadderajr at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 23 09:34:03 BST 2008

Steve Hill wrote:
>Sent: 22 April 2008 12:06 PM
>To: OJ W
>Cc: OSM Talk
>Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Tagging climbing routes and scrambles
>
>On Mon, 21 Apr 2008, OJ W wrote:
>
>> Perhaps the ele=x
>> m tag would be useful here - so that if someone actually tries creating a
>3D
>> map of a crag they'll have data to work with...
>
>I'm trying to avoid requiring the ele tag because elevation data is hard
>to get (accurately).  However, if someone has the equipment and wants to
>add ele tags then all the better.

For a climbing route it's normally the distance of assent that is of
interest is it not and I guess for most traditional climbing routes this is
known? Much easier to state the length of the route than the top and bottom
elevations? Accepted that you might want to converge on an elevation for the
start of the route as accuracy of the position is improved with time.