[OSM-talk] Bus Stops

Peter Miller peter.miller at itoworld.com
Wed Apr 23 17:45:33 BST 2008

The EU standard Transmodel defines a Stop Point as 'A POINT where passengers
can board or alight from vehicles'. For bus stops this means a single pole,
shelter etc and for a place where there are three poles for different
services close together then there would be three entries.

There are also places where buses stop where there is no physical
infrastructure but where buses stop which also need Stop Points. In rural
areas there might be a pole on one side of the road but buses stop in both
directions, or in some places there is not infrastructure on either side of
the road.

For there are a number of Stop Points close to each other then these can be
grouped into Stop Areas that are 'A group of STOP POINTs close to each
other'. I suggest that we achieve this with a relationship call a 'Stop
Area' is people are keen to model it.

For railway stations it can get more complicated as a platform can be made
up of sub platforms (long trains stop at platform 4 and two short ones can
stop at 4A and 4B etc). In this case I believe there should be a Stop Point
for 4, 4A and 4B.
http://www.transmodel.org/en/transmodel/gloss/s.htm

This interpretation is now being discussed as ISO level so is probably the
one to go with.

Are we agreed that this is the appropriate interpretation for the feature
going forward. In which case shall I add this clarification and
interpretation to the relevant OSM tag page?

Btw, Someone might like to ask the DfT in the UK at some point for a copy of
the DB they have with the location of over 350,000 bus stops with their
names and the name of the associated street. I know the people but it might
be better if it came from someone else, possibly from the foundation?

Regards,

Peter