[OSM-talk] Tagging climbing routes and scrambles

Chris Jones rollercow at sucs.org
Wed Apr 23 19:33:52 BST 2008

On 23 Apr 2008, at 16:07, Andy Allan wrote:

> I can say from my experience of teaching IT concepts to very smart
> people (i.e. until recently I was an IT support manager at a large
> uni) that this namespacing stuff is a step too far for most people. My
> experience introducing other people to OSM would back that up.
>
> We know that simple tagging makes sense to many people. We know that
> namespacing makes sense to everyone in this discussion, and that many
> people who understand it *still* disagree with its blanket use in OSM.

The issue is complexity?

So what's wrong with using name spacing and just don't tell people...
as far as they know its tagging with a : in. The folks that care
about such things will know and everyone else is blissfully unaware.
Sure your tags get a little longer, but the two main editors can auto-
complete such things

I doubt it makes much difference to average Jo Mapper if you suggest
he tags stuff as

foo=bar
bar=value

or