[OSM-talk] Bus Stops

Lester Caine lester at lsces.co.uk
Thu Apr 24 12:44:08 BST 2008

Ben Laenen wrote:
> On Thursday 24 April 2008, Andy Robinson (blackadder) wrote:
>> Because a bus stop is a highway feature it really in my view should
>> be part of it. And because we map what we see on the ground then
>> logically if there are two bus stops not quite opposite each other
>> then I place two nodes, one for each and tag them appropriately.
>> Placing short links from a bus stop node placed off the highway to
>> the highway itself is I guess fine if those links are tagged as
>> highway=footway, but personally I think that's a lot of unnecessary
>> effort and complexity in the map.
>
> I'd like to compare tagging bus stops with tram stops here. While I
> think it's common (at least from what I've seen) to use nodes on the
> ways representing the tram lines, -- like we do for train stations --
> for some reason it isn't for bus stops. Even though tram stops have the
> exact same issue: it's not always a stop in both direction

It is the same problem where the tram way and the road share the same way, but
isn't it more normal to find that there is a way for the tram track in the
same way as the separate carriage ways of a two carriage way road? Certainly
at some point that would make senses especially with discussions on including
details like 'platform' and access to those from footpaths on the railway
information. Trams are just less protected railway lines, and a complete map
of their tracks with the correct related platforms and stops makes sense?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL