[OSM-talk] Tagging climbing routes and scrambles

Steve Hill steve at nexusuk.org
Thu Apr 24 13:23:32 BST 2008

On Thu, 24 Apr 2008, Christopher Schmidt wrote:

> I can't claim to have the right answer, but I will state that it is not
> common in geographic software to have namespaced attributes: in general,
> when this is the case, it is a namespace based only on the object type
> which has a specific schema. (In this case, that would be something like
> pisteLift, since the dataset would be a list of pisteLifts.)

But in common software, do the objects have an explicit type?  In
OpenStreetMap they do not - the type is determined by a bunch of arbitrary
tags, for which you need background knowledge of which tags define the
object type and which just define attributes (e.g. there is no unified
"type" tag which you know will always define what the object is).

  - Steve