[OSM-talk] TIGER "unbraid" tool now available

Alan Millar am12 at bolis.com
Fri Apr 25 22:46:55 BST 2008

> On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 13:42 -0700, Alan Millar wrote:
>> You can find it at
>> http://svn.openstreetmap.org/applications/utils/filter/osm-unbraid/osm-unbraid.pl
>>
>> Please give it a try and let me know how it works out.
>
> This is really cool!

Thanks!

> How were you envisioning this being run?  Someone sees a braided street
> (like in JOSM), saves the .osm file, runs the tool, then uploads?

It does its own download so you just have to give it two way numbers, and
it produces a JOSM change file.  Then you open that in JOSM, check the
results, and upload.  I'm a little wary of automatic uploads.  There are a
number of intersecting ways listed on the Tiger fixup page that aren't
really braided streets, and I'm not sure what it will do in all of those
cases.

> Could the algorithm be moved into the JOSM validator plugin?  That might
> make it quite a bit easier to edit things in fewer steps.

I'd love to see it be a JOSM plugin; it would absolutely be easier to use.
 Select two ways, hit a button, voila!

Unfortunately, it is in perl because that's what I know; I've never done
anything in Java yet.  I've been wondering if this may be just the time to
learn it.  I'm not sure if a JOSM plugin is a good place to start learning
Java or if that is biting off too much to start.

Any advice?  Thanks

- Alan