[OSM-talk] Vandalism in Trumpington

Shaun McDonald shaun at shaunmcdonald.me.uk
Sun Apr 27 19:34:41 BST 2008

On 27 Apr 2008, at 17:52, David Earl wrote:

> On 26/04/2008 23:36, David Earl wrote:
>> This user has removed or overlaid quite a few roads around
>> Trumpington, Cambridge, and replaced several streets with
>> cycleways, run
>> a tertiary road along the river and across a farm track, and
>> generally
>> made a complete mess of my careful mapping in that area.
>
> The perpetrator has replied, slightly to my surprise. As I had
> thought,
> she had no idea that she was changing the live database and she
> apologises profusely.
>
> But this raises once again the ease with which people who don't know
> what they are doing can wreck things unintentionally. None of the
> changes I've had to undo in my area seem to have been wanton
> vandalism:
> all three incidents have been people playing, and two of them have
> been
> after the "play" mode was introduced in Potlatch. We won't stop
> determined vandals, but we can try to make it harder to make mistakes
> like this.
>
> I've noticed that the "start, play,..." buttons often appear then
> disappear shortly after in IE without me pressing them (I can't speak
> for Firefox, I don't use it often enough to tell). I wonder if this is
> part of the problem - that people may never see the 'play' mode
> button?

I see this behaviour in Safari too. Also if you just go and start
working on the data, it assumes start/live mode. I think this should
be made modal, so that you can't accidentally choose the live mode,
when play is the one that is really wanted. It would be nice to have
some indication as to whether you are in live or play modes.

Shaun