[OSM-talk] namespaces and copyright

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Mon Apr 28 20:57:45 BST 2008

On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 6:10 PM, elvin ibbotson
<elvin.ibbotson at poco.org.uk> wrote:
> Correct! I have never actually seen one, but I'm sure they exist. However, I
> can make my own spelling mistakes without their help. I hope people didn't
> assume I'm doing all my mapping from the A-Z. I do actually go out there
> collecting tracks with my GPS,  photographing things, naming waypoints and
> even remembering the odd street name.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Copyright_Easter_Eggs

It's pretty straight-forward, if you are 100% sure that the road
exists and the name is what it says it is then it's not such a big
deal. But one thing I learned from mapping my own area: the maps you
buy are *wrong* in so many places. Maybe easter eggs, maybe bugs. In
either case, don't make the assumption that just because you paid
money for it or that it looks like an official looking printed map
that it's actually accurate.

I seem to recall someone telling me that one bug per square kilometer
is not an unrealistic estimate.

Have a nice day,