[OSM-talk] [Fwd: Re: Bangladesh under the water]

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 08:07:05 BST 2008

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 2:19 AM, Neil Penman <ianaf4you at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Is there a history to the flooding of large land
>  masses at high zoom?
>  Timor and Indonesian archipelago also disappear under
>  water when you try
>  and get too close.  Was this always the case?  I've
>  added the coastline
>  for Timor in now so hopefully that will fix this
>  particular problem .
>  Is anyone looking at the rest of Indonesia?

For a long time we used PGS directly for coastlines at highzoom. This
meant we didn't have blue sea at highzoom, everything looked like
land. So I wrote the coastline checker so we had a good view of what
coastline was uploaded already and whether it was in good state. In
short order the US, Africa, Australia and most of Asia were uploaded
and fixed. Since we like to have our oceans blue we decided to switch.
There was plenty of warning and plenty of encouragement, but in the
end it was decided not to wait until every last island was uploaded.

So no, it's only been like this for a few months. On the plus side you
can fix it yourself.

Have a nice day,