[OSM-talk] OSM in Europe Statistics

Juan Lucas Dominguez Rubio jldominguez at prodevelop.es
Wed Apr 30 09:32:10 BST 2008

Hi,

One funny alternative would be to compute not the size of the data (nodes and tags) but the size of the tiles in a compressed format (PNG or JPG or compressed BMP). An empty tile can be compressed to a few bytes, but a dense tile with a lot of ways and place-names cannot be compressed so much. In this way, we would compute the amount of "graphic information" available for each country/zone, and this would not be influenced by uploads of tracks with too many nodes or untagged, disconnected nodes.

On the other hand, one very visible difference between Mediterranean cities and, for example, English cities is the population density of the urban areas. For example, a medium-size English city like Liverpool is probably almost as big as Barcelona, even though their population is much smaller, so the ratio kms of streets divided by number of people will be very different in the South and in the North of Europe... not to mention those endless suburbs in the United States, for example...  so yes, it's very complicated to compute a map quality index properly.

Regards,
Lucas