[OSM-talk] Obtaining course of footpaths from a farmer's map

Gregory nomoregrapes at googlemail.com
Fri Aug 1 14:19:50 BST 2008

Perhaps you need to talk to the farmer anyway as (s)he holds the copyright
permission.
Copyright is an automatic thing granted to original works, it still exists
even if the work doesn't say "(c) year, Mr Giles".

An interesting question though. Looking at the photo you'd assume we could
use the same rules as the name on a road sign. (What's to say someone didn't
look at an OS map when they ordered a replacement sign). This is sort of a
sign post, just not in arrow shape.

2008/8/1 Nick Whitelegg <Nick.Whitelegg at solent.ac.uk>

> Hello everyone,
>
> Whilst out walking/mapping on Monday, I came across this hand-painted map
> of a farmer's field:
>
> http://www.nickw.uklinux.net/stuff/28072008028.jpg
>
> As can be seen it shows the course of several footpaths, which unusually
> all cross the same field (which isn't that bit).
> Of these only two can be ascertained ont he ground by signposting (the one
> to the north fo the field, and the one which cuts across from NE-SW). The
> others are invisible.
>
> Can this farmer's map be used as legitimate evidence of adding the
> footpaths to OSM? Or should one take the approach that the farmer might
> have copied the courses of the footpaths from an OS map and thus no can
> do?
>
> Thanks,
> Nick

Gregory