[OSM-talk] mapping grass

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Fri Aug 1 17:45:29 BST 2008

On 01/08/2008 12:22, Martijn van Exel wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 11:07 AM, Kenneth Gonsalves <lawgon at au-kbc.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have been facing problems mapping grass. The only mention of grass
>> in map features is village_green. My Josm also shows landuse=grass,
>> but this is not on the map features page. I have the following types
>> of grass:
>>
>> 1. finely mown grass on golf greens
>> 2. mown grass - golf fairways, lawns, cricket grounds - usually not
>> more than 1 inch high
>> 3. wild grass or grasslands, steppes, prairies ...
>> 4. trimmed grass  - in golf rough - trimmed to more than one inch.
>>
>> I feel all these can be brought under one scheme - but not sure how
>> to do it. Suggestions?
>
> I actually have the same issue. There's lots of patches of grass all
> over the city here, on the shoulders of roads, between blocks of
> houses etc. I've been mapping them as leisure=park which really makes
> no sense but at least will have them show up in the default map.

I've been doing it as leisure=park too. Why? Because I suggested
landuse=grass soon after I started mapping a couple of years ago for
exactly the bits between houses where you might otherwise expect houses
to be, large traffic islands etc, but I was met with such a massively
negative reaction from the list ("it's no different from a park" - when
plainly it is), so I gave up and did them as parks and have been doing
so ever since. That's why Cambridge and South Cambridgeshire is littered
with tiny little parks!

David