[OSM-talk] Why OpenStreetMap is not Wikipedia

Martijn van Oosterhout kleptog at gmail.com
Sun Aug 3 12:03:17 BST 2008

On Sat, Aug 2, 2008 at 8:45 PM, Frederik Ramm <frederik at remote.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> For the last few months I've been wondering if OSM isn't more of a
>> software project than a database.
>
> An interesting aspect.

What I actually find interesting is that OSM as a project has
subsequently lead to develeopment spurts in related projects, like
Mapnik, OpenLayers, Marble (to greater or lesser extent) and all sorts
of routing and mapping programs written from scratch. Mobile
applications are also starting to appear.

So to me it seems the dataset is a catalyst for a huge about of
programming work. Basically, open-source GIS is waking up due to the
availability of the dataset....

Have a nice day,