[OSM-talk] Bug in using osm2pgsql to keep up with dailies

Jon Burgess jburgess777 at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 5 10:05:26 BST 2008

2008/8/5 Michal Migurski <mike at stamen.com>:
>> Another way to save more disk space is to filter out the data you
>> don't
>> require. Either by applying a bounding box or by removing items from
>> the
>> default.style.
>

> So I'm definitely doing the bbox thing - I ran out of space on the
> volume when doing a slim import of planet.osm with a box that covered
> only the extended SF Bay Area. Seems like that should be fairly
> reasonable, right?

Perhaps the slim mode is not taking the bounding box into account.
I'll take a look.

> Probably the right thing to do would be to get the import done once
> with a larger volume available to Postgres (EC2 does give you a
> secondary disk at /mnt that's over 100GB), then keep up with
> incrementals moving forward after the initial inconvenience.

100GB would definitely be enough. I've seen the full slim-mode planet
import taking around 40GB. This code to handle the diff mode import is
all very new and does not scale up to handling the whole planet yet.

--
 Jon