[OSM-talk] (Proposed UK) National Cycle Map standard

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 17:33:00 BST 2008

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 4:41 PM, Stephen Gower
<socks-openstreetmap.org at earth.li> wrote:
> I'm not quite sure who is considering this, but
> http://www.cyclecheltenham.org.uk/map_standard.html claims to be "being
> considered as the basis for a national standard."

Pah, 'standards' often just limit creativity. And I hope the dreadful
colour choices aren't part of the standard!

> The actual map looks pretty good for an end-user and exactly the sort of
> thing I want to see. However, I can see that trying to incorporate the data
> into the OSM model will be scuppered by people saying it involves too may
> subjective decisions.  Anyone got any suggestions for a tagging scheme that
> would allow us to use OSM data to produce maps to this Cheltenham Standard?

My only suggestion is to try and translate it (as far as possible)
into non-subjective components. The components should then be more
amenible to tagging.

It's similar to cycle paths being good/bad/rubbish where we discussed
using tags like surface=gravel as objective components to create a
subjective result. It also allows more creativity by the end-user
(e.g. render, routing app) giving the components different weightings
(e.g. downhill steps would get +5 fun from me!)

Cheers,
Andy