[OSM-talk] Australia has Google Street View!

nicholas.g.lawrence at mainroads.qld.gov.au nicholas.g.lawrence at mainroads.qld.gov.au
Wed Aug 6 02:22:23 BST 2008

> It is conceivable that someone moves into a new town, gets everywhere by
> legally using Google maps, never really looking at a street sign (at
> least not before knowing exactly what will be on there from his Google
> map), and after a year or so knowing most of the place by hard.

> According to your strict reading, the sad git would probably be unable
> to contribute to OSM in this town, ever, because is brain is now a
> derived work of Google maps...

> Bye
> Frederik

But if this person went out with a GPS unit, collected points,
read the street signs and wrote down the details, this
originally-researched data would override the contaminated
data in his brain?

nick

WARNING: This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain legally
privileged, confidential or private information and may be protected by
copyright. You may only use it if you are the person(s) it was intended
to be sent to and if you use it in an authorised way.  No one is
allowed to use, review, alter, transmit, disclose, distribute, print
or copy this e-mail without appropriate authority.

If this e-mail was not intended for you and was sent to you by mistake,
please telephone or e-mail me immediately, destroy any hardcopies of
this e-mail and delete it and any copies of it from your computer
system. Any right which the sender may have under copyright law, and
any legal privilege and confidentiality attached to this e-mail is not
waived or destroyed by that mistake.

It is your responsibility to ensure that this e-mail does not contain
and is not affected by computer viruses, defects or interference by
third parties or replication problems (including incompatibility with
your computer system).

Opinions contained in this e-mail do not necessarily reflect the
opinions of the Queensland Department of Main Roads, Queensland
Transport or Maritime Safety Queensland, or endorsed organisations
utilising the same infrastructure.