[OSM-talk] Mapnik churches

David Earl david at frankieandshadow.com
Thu Aug 7 10:44:40 BST 2008

I notice that churches have reduced to a black square on recent Mapnik
renderings. While that might be a good compromise for unspecified
religion, the block with a cross on top (or just a cross) for Christian
churches is so widely used on maps, not to use it seems perverse. Any
chance we could have it back again?

Also, I'm curious why the name of this church:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52.33673&lon=-0.1583&zoom=17&layers=B00FTF
isn't rendered even at zoom 17. It doesn't appear to clash with any
other label.

While I'm on rendering things in Mapnik...

- could man_made=water_tower be rendered? They shouldn't clutter the map
as they tend to be set aside from other buildings, like windmills
usually are.

- bus stops are rather dominant. A bit smaller? On the other hand
amenity=bus_station isn't rendered at all, which seems an anomaly.

- there's an odd discrepancy between type sizes for similarly tagged
nodes and areas. For example, I did a named industrial estate as
landuse=industrial and inside that I put a number of named nodes also
tagged landuse=industrial to represent individual factories, and shows
up pretty nicely on Mapnik, except that the name of the industrial
estate (area) is considerably smaller than the node names. If anything I
think these should be the other way round, but probably making them the
same size would be best.

- bridges on footways etc are great, but those where they are in line
with casings could be a bit bolder IMO.

David