[OSM-talk] API v7

Dave Stubbs osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk
Tue Aug 19 17:19:53 BST 2008

> I'd suggest to let the original creator of a way define its direction,
> and then to never touch it again. Every tagging which relies on the ways
> direction can either be along it's direction, or against it. All current
> oneway streets would be "oneway=1" or "oneway=yes". This would be
> extended to "onway=-1" for new oneway streets which run agains the new
> ways direction. If a mapper has to change the direction of the oneway
> street, he will only change the oneway tag - not the way, avoiding to
> mess with any other directional tagging which might be invented in the
> future.

Just a quick note that oneway=-1 is actually handled by the main
mapnik map and the cyclemap already... probably osmarender too. There
are actually quite a lot of them because back in the old days
reversing a way meant reversing every segment of the way. And as there
was little editor support for that originally, people really couldn't
be bothered and so said oneway=-1 instead. These days reversing a way
is easy, so that's what people do.