[OSM-talk] Phone numbers in OSM

Stefan Neufeind openstreetmap at stefan-neufeind.de
Wed Aug 20 15:06:06 BST 2008

Florian Lohoff wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 03:54:56PM +0200, Lulu-Ann at gmx.de wrote:
>> I am definitively against phone numbers in OSM. On many communities on the internet
>> publishing phone numbers and email adresses is not welcome because wrong
>> numbers can't be found easily and people suffering from such phone calls will
>> be really annoyed.
>> Please use the WEBSITE tag - nobody will be annoyed by an error in a URL
>> and if a phone number changes the sitemaster will take care and not the mapper.
>> If there is no website for the amenity, you can add the URL of the search result of
>> the yellow pages.
>
> The point will be that one day you need the yellow-pages machine
> readable link. E.g. every car navigation will show you the next 20
> hotels surrounding you and will offer the numbers and addresses.
>
> I do agree though that these informations should not be the scope of OSM
> but there should be some possibility to link them.

I agree. But in the meantime imho where available we should at least add
that information to have them available in a clear and structured way
together with the POIs. If at a later step we decide to split off
certain information (opening hours, descriptions, ratings, ...) into a
separate POI-database or something, then we're ready to go.

Regards,
  Stefan