[OSM-talk] Me and Ed Parsons are drowning!

Dermot McNally dermotm at gmail.com
Wed Aug 20 20:53:49 BST 2008

2008/8/20 Gregory <nomoregrapes at googlemail.com>:

> The Thames River has flooded...
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.4084&lon=-0.3652&zoom=12&layers=0B0FTF
>
> Has someone done something that will be fixed when it rerenders? Or could
> someone please have a look at it.
> I don't know much about how riverbanks and the likes are supposed to be
> done.

I can explain some of the background to this - and I'll copy in
Carsten, since I think he did some recent work on this. Basically, the
long-standing (odd) tagging was working for Mapnik and Osmarender in a
classic "tagged-for-the-renderer" kind of way. But when Garmin maps
were produced with mkgmap, the Thames flooded. My post a few days ago
was on the foot of a thread on the German list, looking to see if
there was a reason it shouldn't be retagged with a view to adopting
standard tagging and thus enabling it to work in all three cases (and,
we'd hope, others).

>From what I can see of work I did on the river Shannon, Mapnik does,
in fact, kind of support riverbank, in that it renders a blue outline,
but doesn't fill it with water. That's nothing that should cause a
flood, though. Furthermore, a "nicer" flawed tagging scheme that will
allow the fill is to add an additional natural=water tag to the closed
riverbank way. IMHO, we shouldn't do this, as an ugly Thames is a good
catalyst to provoke Mapnik support. It would in any case be a shame to
reintroduce the coastline this far inland.

Carsten, do you have any theories about the likely cause?

Dermot