[OSM-talk] Left and Right?

Rory McCann rory at technomancy.org
Sun Aug 24 17:53:48 BST 2008

Gervase Markham wrote:
> What's current tagging best practice with things which are to the left
> or the right of a way (e.g. bus stops)?
>
> A nearly-approved proposal for a canal-side object has been objected to
> by someone who thinks that the tag should be on a node which is part of
> the canal rather than next to it, with left/right indicated as part of
> the tag key name.
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Proposed_features/Mooring
>
> Do we do that for any other tags? Do we have highway:left=bus_stop?
>
> Gerv

Personally I add the node to left of the way, not as part of the way. I
believe the OSM theory is that the way represents the middle of the
road. So things like mini-roundabounds and traffic lights are part of
the way (ie road), but a bus stop is off to the side of the road.

A similar thinking is obvious in the Karlsruhe House Address Scheme
(http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Proposed_features/House_numbers/Karlsruhe_Schema),
since the buildings that are numbered are not physically in the middle
of the road, they are added as nodes to the left or right of the way.

Rory