[OSM-talk] Left and Right?

Niclas Andersson niclasa at swipnet.se
Sun Aug 24 19:38:43 BST 2008

Gervase Markham wrote:
> What's current tagging best practice with things which are to the left
> or the right of a way (e.g. bus stops)?
>
> A nearly-approved proposal for a canal-side object has been objected to
> by someone who thinks that the tag should be on a node which is part of
> the canal rather than next to it, with left/right indicated as part of
> the tag key name.
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Proposed_features/Mooring
>
> Do we do that for any other tags? Do we have highway:left=bus_stop?
>
> Gerv

As for bus stops I usually use bus_direction=N|S|E|W (idea gotten from
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Talk:Buses ). From that it's
possible to infer what side of the road the stop is placed on, and it
isn't dependent on the direction of the way. I have no idea if anyone
else uses it regularly though ;)

/Niclas Andersson
niclasa at swipnet.se