[OSM-talk] Administrative boundaries (UK)

Andy Robinson (blackadder-lists) ajrlists at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 25 22:58:42 BST 2008

Peter Miller wrote:
>Sent: 25 August 2008 7:26 PM
>To: talk at openstreetmap.org
>Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Administrative boundaries (UK)
>
>> From: Shaun McDonald <shaun at shaunmcdonald.me.uk>
>> Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Administrative boundaries (UK)
>> To: Bob Hawkins <bobhawkins at waitrose.com>
>> Cc: talk at openstreetmap.org
>>
>> Hi Bob,
>>
>> Use the information on the ground. You will usually find signs welcoming
>> you to the new area. It may be a few hundred metres either side, so look
>> for the change in tar quality. You may also find that bin mapping is an
>> option since the council often puts their name on the bins. (In Ireland
>> you need to do bin mapping to get the names of the streets, rather than
>> the boundaries).
>
>Old (NPE) OS mapping is good. I was amazed to find how little of the county
>boundary had changed in the past 50 years. I would use local knowledge and
>variety of current (possibly copyright) sources to see if the old OS maps
>were still current and then digitise off the old maps. For my county the
>majority of the boundary was along rivers anyway (which I also entered from
>old OS (NPE) maps.

Agreed, except it tends to break down for the big urban centres where the
original county boundaries made way for the metropolitan districts. I can
bring the county boundaries into Birmingham from NPE very easily but
defining the boundaries within the urban area for Birmingham, Sandwell,
Walsall, Solihull etc needs the bin and recycle box approach, which I have
to say works remarkably well.

Cheers

Andy