[OSM-talk] Left and Right?

Robin Paulson robin.paulson at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 00:36:37 BST 2008

2008/8/27 Karl Newman <siliconfiend at gmail.com>:
> What? Of course it has relevance. The number means nothing without the
> street. Houses don't have GUIDs. It has to be associated with it's street if
> you ever want to look it up by address.

i'm not sure what a guid is, i assume it's 'globally unique
identification'? in which case, yes they do - it's the property deed
number.

and it may sound pedantic, but we should really talk about the
*property address*, not the *house address* - the first includes
driveway, paths, car parks, garden, etc, etc. and maybe does not have
a building there at all; the second makes all sorts of assumptions
which will only be true in a small number of addresses

this is going to be very relevant in the near future - land
information new zealand are more than likely going to give us
permission to include their property info database (the entire
country, probably around a million ways defining property boundaries)
in osm, so we're going to need a tagging scheme that accounts for it,
and ties together the deed number and the street address

>> numbers being part of a street but in reality they aren't, they are
>> references for buildings. The second reason is that if we were to add
>> nodes
>> for every house on both sides of the street to every way we would soon
>> find
>> out ways totally unmanageable. As a further reason, houses are normally
>> connected to the street with a driveway/footpath. In a fully featured map
>> you would draw these in eventually. Its these that make the true
>> relationship between building and street.

spot on.