[OSM-talk] Left-Right and opposite - Issue

PieSchie PieSchie at gmx.net
Wed Aug 27 11:11:29 BST 2008

Hy there,

since there are a lot of discussions about left-right tagging of ways,
POIS and different one-way-oriented attributes I would publish the
following for discussion.

The initial questions for my posting are:
- Tagging of footways on a street (left or right side)
- Tagging of oneway-streets with twoway-tram without making it
dual-carriageway
- Tagging of cycleway=lane;opposite_lane where the opposite lane (lane
for cycling in opposite direction) is on the same side as lane.

My meaning of a "street" is bidirectional and the one side of a street
(only one direction) is a "way"

The idea would be to map/tag every street with two ways as default. That
would mean that a normal street with two directions is realised by two
ways between the Nodes A and B (A->B and B->A) or (A->B->C) and (C->B->A).

The Advantages would be:
- cycleway=track/opposite_track would have the meaning (cycleway on the
right side (left in UK) in driving direction / opposite direction)
- possibility to create attributes like footway=elevated / curbstone
that is related to exactly one side of the way
- expanded liberty to tag special ways as e.g. "oneway street with
twoway tram" when not dual carriageway as A-B (higway=residential,
railway=tram) and B-A (railway=tram, access=no)
 - Wen creating a bus_stop and linking it to a way (relation?), it is
defined which direction it is going to.
- Routing would not be harmed since the direction of the way is well
defined.

Disadvantages:
- How to render a street consisting of two ways? Something like (right
(UK: left) half of the street in way1-attributes and the other half in
way2-attributes. Would eventually lead to ugly looking streets when one
way is tagged primary and the opposite direction residential. Perhaps
rendering with the highest cathegory available between the nodes. This
leads to
- How to combine (recognize) the two ways as one street. Perhaps
somthing like Way1.NodeChain = Way2.ReversedNodeChain?
- Data-handling when e.g. reversing a way. Should it be possible to
reverse a way and create two ways in the same direction, or should the
other way be reversed as well?
- Consistency-Problems: What if both "oneways" are named differently? Is
it possible? Which name should be rendered when rendering this way as
one line on the map? Perhaps this Idea would need a new Object like
"way" and "directionway" where a way consists of two directionways.
Besides, should it be possible that one way ends an a "between-node" of
the opposite direction.
- Database-Structure: I do not know a lot about the OSM-Database, but I
can imagine that a change like this is hard to realize if not at all.

Have you any annotations or other concepts about this?

Greetings,
  PieSchie