[OSM-talk] Recommended GPS for logs for OSM *and* for vehicle - is there such a beast?

John McKerrell john at mckerrell.net
Wed Aug 27 11:29:13 BST 2008

On 27 Aug 2008, at 11:23, Alex S. wrote:

> Chris G wrote:
>> I'm after a GPS system which I can use to provide data for OSM maps
>> and as a 'normal' GPS system to tell me where to go when I'm on my
>> motorbike.  Is there anything which can provide both facilities or
>> should I give up and buy two separate devices?
> [..]
>> A receiver which can link up with a PDA might make sense as I need a
>> new PDA anyway.
>
> I use a TomTom One for routing (using their app) and logging (via
> Event_Logger, taking data from the raw NMEA stream).  Their "Rider"
> is a
> bit expensive, but it's designed for motorcycle use.
>
> Anything Unix-based will enable you to capture the raw stream from the
> gps for OSM tracklogging before sending it to the routing app.  The
> Nokia N810 is one such, as are the TomToms.

+1 for a TomTom for these requirements. I prefer NMEALogger [1] as I
found Event_Logger difficult to install and bad for other reasons
(that I forget now). NMEALogger can be installed via the official
TomTom software and runs alongside the existing TomTom software so
that you can use both at once, it can also be set to record the raw
NMEA stream.

John

[1] - http://www.webazar.org/tomtom/nmealogger.php?lang=uk