[OSM-talk] Recommended GPS for logs for OSM *and* for vehicle - is there such a beast?

Gregory nomoregrapes at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 27 13:01:47 BST 2008

While on the subject of GPS recommendations...
where would people suggest buying units from? (UK physical shop or UK
friendly online shop)

I'm not interested in routing but would really like to display OSM maps on
it and it be a stand alone GPS recorder (for mapping use and occasional
geocaching), so probably a garmin under £200.
Amazon seemed to be good price wise, but I haven't looked at many places.

Greg.

2008/8/27 Chris G <cl at isbd.net>

> On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 01:26:01PM +0200, Christoph Eckert wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > > I rand my N810 in parallel with my Garmin Geko 201 and they both
> > > produced comparable results. I'm quite happy with the built-in GPS.
> >
> > works for me as well, as long the device is placed upright in a car via
> the
> > suction mount. In other cases, where it's difficult to place the device
> in an
> > exposed upright position (biking, hinking) things look differently.
> >
> My thoughts are actually moving away from the N810, the big drawback
> for me is that it needs a mobile phone as well to be able to connect
> from anywhere.
>
> I'm actually thinking more about a 'smartphone' (e.g. a Palm Treo)
> with an external GPS logger that can connect to it via bluetooth.
>
> --
> Chris Green

Gregory
nomoregrapes at gmail.com