[OSM-talk] Recommended GPS for logs for OSM *and* for vehicle - is there such a beast?

Igor Brejc igor.brejc at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 17:53:33 BST 2008

If you're willing to spend some extra money, maybe you should take a
look at Garmin Oregon:
http://www.gpsmagazine.com/2008/08/garmin_oregon_400t_review.php

The upside is that it's an outdoor unit with a good map display. Battery
life should be quite OK, at least from my experience with Garmins. And
it supports navigation, but without sound (if you need this, take a look
at new Garmin nuvi 500). What's additionally attractive to me is the
support for the heart rate monitor and bike cadence sensor.
The downside is that it's a closed source unit, but you should be able
to view OSM maps (if Garmin hasn't changed mapping support with these
new models).

IMHO pure outdoor units are still the only option for the real outdoor
use (rain, low temperatures etc). I'm using Garmin Vista Cx and I'm
quite happy with it.

Igor

http://igorbrejc.net