[OSM-talk] Recommended GPS for logs for OSM *and* for vehicle - is there such a beast?

Chris G cl at isbd.net
Thu Aug 28 10:34:32 BST 2008

On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 09:23:21PM +0200, Ulf Lamping wrote:

[snip lots of useful information and experience]

> 3. Conclusion
> -------------
> If you're touring a lot in european areas and are willing to spend about
> 600EUR I would *really* recommend to buy a TomTom Rider II with european
> maps - in that case it's really nice to have and IMHO worth the money.
>
> If you're touring only e.g. once in a year and are willing to get less
> "handling comfort", I'll recommend a normal car navigation ~200EUR (or
> some other already noted options like a PDA/N810) plus a waterresistant
> motorcycle mount ~50EUR? (however, I don't have a personal experience
> with this)
>

> So you're "own personal solution" depends on the comfort you want to
> have, the usual length of your touring, how many tours in the year you
> do and obviously the money you'd like to (and can) spend ...
>
> Regards, ULFL

Yes, I think you've confirmed my thoughts as I look into this.  A "do
everything" device probably doesn't exist.  I need a (relatively)
cheap device for logging to provide data to put into OSM and then the
motorbike navigation is a separate device to be selected using
different criteria.

Thanks for the very useful input.

--
Chris Green