[OSM-talk] Mapnik handling of highways that are also landuse...

Dermot McNally dermotm at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 11:06:31 BST 2008

2008/8/28 Steve Chilton <S.L.Chilton at mdx.ac.uk>:

> There are two reasons why your "tag combination ought to be able to
> render correctly as is" statement is not valid.

This is always a risk :)

> Firstly - as Thomas pointed out - mapnik likes one feature per way.
> Secondly - landuse=grass is not rendered at the moment (because of the
> vast disagreement on the whole landuse/natural/grass thing).

A further complexity, certainly. The amusing thing is, I only started
using landuse=grass very recently, after deciding that
recreation_ground was probably not a good tag for what we're
describing here.

> What I am guessing you have on the ground is a residential square with a
> road round the outside and a grassy bit in the middle.

Correct.

> There is no way I
> know of for mapnik to interpret this correctly from a double-tagged
> single way like this. It would have to be able to draw a line, a road
> fill, a second line, and then the grass fill.
> Where these occur in areas I have seen (many grass filled squares in C
> London) two parallel ways have been used - and yes I know that people
> are using leisure=park "incorrectly" in order to get them rendered, but
> probably excusable in London as they are often formal park/recreation
> areas.

Well, a technical limitation is just that - if it can't be done, we
need to live with it. The end result is certainly unintuitive, though,
since the only area tag named (the landuse) isn't the style that gets
applied to the area.

I feel the workaround coming on...

Thanks,
Dermot