[OSM-talk] Correct tagging of church grounds

robin paulson robin.paulson at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 14:44:09 BST 2008

Gregory wrote:
> My only thought would be tag as much as you can (carpark, graveyard,
> buildings, paths, are all quite big) which will give an idea of what's
> the space been used as.
> Perhaps the remaining space could be tagged as some green landuse(I
> assume it has grass & trees), although you want to avoid people going
> there to play football. So why not propose something a new tag for it.

the car park, graveyard, buildings, etc. are all great suggestions. but
please, not landuse=grass or landuse=trees - the landuse tag gets abused
enough as it is

by this logic, landuse=concrete, landuse=bitumen and landuse=mud are
valid...

and tagging old trafford football ground pitch as landuse=grass would be
correct too

landuse is just that: what the land is *used* for, not what the land
surface *is*

natural=grass and natural=trees aren't great either, but infinitely
better than the above

or why not 'amenity=place_of_worship' defined on the entire area, with
smaller areas of building, car park, etc? that's what it's for, after all