[OSM-talk] Left and Right - a proposal

Aurelien Jacobs aurel at gnuage.org
Sat Aug 30 14:04:18 BST 2008

robin paulson wrote:

> Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> > A bus stop where you have to stand in the middle of a junction to
> > catch the bus? This I have to see...
> >
> > <sticks hand out, gets flattened by car approaching from other
> > direction>
>

> i think he means where there is a t-junction (say, a minor road in to a
> major road), and the bus stop is on the major road, exactly opposite the
> minor road. the node is shared between both roads, so the renderer may
> draw the bus stop twice, once for each road

Exactly. And the two road don't need to form a square angle.
See:

    ^

   /|
  / |
 /  |
v   ^

One street headed north, one headed southwest. To which street the
tags applied to the the X node should refer to ?

> in reality, this is unlikely to happen, because it's dangerous, and
> councils would never be so stupid as to encourage large road vehicles to
> stop there....

In reality it happens.
But anyway, this don't have to be a bus_stop. The right/left tags are
supposed to be useful for many other situations...
And it don't seem uncommon to have something worth to map on one side
of a T junction...

Aurel