[OSM-talk] Left and Right - a proposal

Gervase Markham gerv-gmane at gerv.net
Sat Aug 30 23:08:23 BST 2008

Hugh Barnes wrote:
> So, just to clarify, if I want apply more properties to the bus stop, is it
> like this:
>
> left:highway=bus_stop
> left:name=Park Road
> … etc?
>
> Have I missed something?

I hadn't thought of that; I was focussing on simple features in the
common case. Does the above seem sensible, or do you have an objection
if I say a tentative "Yes"? :-)

> This is where I really noticed a problem, but it certainly doesn't kill the
> idea. The problem is that you're using a syntactic convention that I (at
> least) associate with XML namespaces. I've seen other tags like piste:foo
> fashioned after XML namespace prefixes, and they make sense, i.e. the "piste"
> vocabulary.

I've picked that convention because it's already used in the project.
But I'm not wedded to it; if people would prefer an underscore, that's
fine. But it seems that underscores are part of some tag names, not
separators.

Gerv