[OSM-talk] Where have all the contributors gone?

Donald Allwright donald_allwright at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 1 15:25:10 GMT 2008

>At 9:00am on a Sunday morning, the meaning of "no cycling" on urban
>footpaths mysteriously disappears :-)

Unfortunately the mud doesn't, which if Saturday is anything to go by would have been a bit too much for my non-mountain bike :-)

>The real challenge as has been pointed out is the white space without a
>nearby contributor. Especially in the sparsely populated locations of our
>planet

Last winter I spent many dark evenings tracing the jungle rivers and mountain lakes in Peru from the yahoo satellite images. The vast majority of this will be nigh-on impossible to map using a GPS, so I considered this to be a useful contribution in an area previously mostly empty (OSM-wise). Some of these have probably never been mapped to this level of accuracy before. And I still haven't finished yet (Lakes are only about half-way up the country, and most of the coastal rivers still need doing), so I reckon that'll keep me going this winter. Bolivia and Brazil still have a lot of water unmapped, so that would be something you could consider. I'm sure there are many other parts of the world with similar needs. As urban areas lend themselves well to on-the-ground mappers with GPS devices these are better left to locals who can gather street names, but even here I reckon there's room for basic mapping of major highways from satellite, as that will form a
 framework around which people on the ground can organise their own mapping. For example people might decide to map completely a square enclosed by roads, rivers etc., but unless these features are already on the map it's harder to plan something like this. When I actually got to visit one such road I was able to adjust it on the basis of GPS data, thus improving the accuracy.

Donald