[OSM-talk] Postcode searches in Namefinder

elvin ibbotson elvin.ibbotson at poco.org.uk
Tue Dec 2 09:07:06 GMT 2008

Well, you learn something new every day! I never knew post codes were
subject to copyright. OSM has taught me it is naughty to trace off an
OS map or even read the name of a road from one. Now I'm worried
about sending letters! Should I add an extra line to the address
crediting the Post Office? And the rest of the address: are street
names copyright too? Somebody thought of the name of every street so
I guess they must own the copyright. Maybe I should just avoid
sending letters to addresses that haven't been there long enough for
the copyright on the postcode (and street name?) to expire. Now, is
that 50 or 60 years? I forget. Correction: I don't care.

elvin ibbotson