[OSM-talk] How to tag this unknown barrier

Ed Loach ed at loach.me.uk
Tue Dec 2 14:32:43 GMT 2008

Miriam wrote:

> mapping some areas here I came across some barriers in several
> places which in my opinion don't fit in those described in
> [[Map Features]]. I've uploaded a photo to
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Image:Unknown_barrier.jpg.
>
> How do you tag this?

I looked at
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Approved_features/barriers
and it looks like what I'd have tagged as cycle_barrier which was
taken out of the proposal at some point, and it recommends
traffic_calming=chicane instead. It looks like it is designed to
slow cyclists down rather than prevent them using the path, so that
would make sense.

The photo at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicane_(barrier)
is different from what you uploaded, but not all that much so.

Ed