[OSM-talk] Edit war on the wiki "map features"

Douglas Furlong douglas.furlong at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 17:45:28 GMT 2008

2008/12/2 Bernhard Zwischenbrugger <bz at datenkueche.com>

> Douglas Furlong wrote:
>
>> 2008/12/2 Bernhard Zwischenbrugger <bz at datenkueche.com <mailto:
>> bz at datenkueche.com>>
>>

>>           pothole_ratio=0.2  #20% of the surface are potholes
>>           max_pothole_size=50cm
>>

>>        If it is a frequently traveled road by motorised vehicle, that
>>        size will not be very static.
>>
>>    That depends on the country!!
>>

>> Only if the term "frequently" varies per country, other wise I'd expect
>> the surface to deteriorate pretty much in the same way.
>>
>> And as it's subjective, one could argue that it doesn't depend on the
>> country at all, but the person thinking about it.
>>
>> Any way, the point is, pot holes on roads that are frequently/heavily used
>> WILL vary quite quickly, and I'm not sure it some thing we'd be looking to
>> have as a static land mark.
>>

>>  If you ride on a Royal Enfield in India, information about potholes is
> probably the most important thing you need.
> It's an information you don't find on other maps.
>
> In the North America, Europe, China, Thailand,... there are good roads but
> most of the countries still have horrible roads.

I understand.

While I was traveling around Ecuador we went through some roads where the
pot holes were the size of tables, and some of them almost as deep as a
table.

However, my point is that being so specific about the size of a pot whole
seems wasteful, as those pot holes grow very rapidly when being ripped apart
by busses trucks and what have you.

A pot whole that is the size of a foot ball within weeks will become the
size of a small fridge, at least those have been my experiences in Ecuador
and some area's of eastern Europe.

If the map was being used by those repairing pot holes (a brilliant idea if
ever there was one), then I'd agree that having those sort of diameters
would be useful.
But for those looking to travel over it, I fail to see it's value, as it
will be out of date shortly after being submitted, unless it was frequently
updated.