[OSM-talk] Google Maps - OSM comparison

Alex Mauer hawke at hawkesnest.net
Thu Dec 4 20:17:05 GMT 2008

> Captials in Europe are done very well (Vaduz is an exception)
>
> In South America OSM is far behind Google
>
> In Afrika the winner is OSM
>
> In Asia it's mixed.

I ran through the whole list, ranking the quality of the map for each of
OSM and Google on a scale of 0-5. (0 meaning that the map is blank or
only the name appears, 5 meaning that it doesn't seem like anything is
missing from the map)  Assuming I did a good job of ranking, OSM is
slightly ahead of Google worldwide and in in Africa and Asia.  In
Europe, OSM is well ahead.  Google is slightly ahead in Oceania, and
well ahead in North and especially South America

Here are the results (I can provide my rankings in a spreadsheet as well
if anyone is interested):
		OSM	Google
World		2.64	2.50
Africa		2.02	1.78