[OSM-talk] Yahoo WMS server?

Sebastian Spaeth sebastian at sspaeth.de
Sun Dec 7 09:13:07 GMT 2008

Nic Roets wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 6, 2008 at 9:27 PM, Till Harbaum / Lists <lists at harbaum.org> wrote:
>> I've been told that the yahoo license permits derivative works which also
>> is the reason why potlatch and josm are making use of this. Wouldn't a
>> server distrubuting slightly converted/scales/cropped images not also
>> provide just derivative work?
>
> Perhaps. Or do they just allow derivation of vector data by hand ?

I have not been involved in that, but this is what I believe. Yahoo
checked our usage and said (from memory, no guarantee):
"As long as you use the web API (ie access the tiles from within a
browser, deriving vector data is ok from those tiles."

I would be *very surprised* if converting,scaling and cropping were
tolerable by Yahoo. Indeed, I am pretty much sure it would not be OK.

spaetz