[OSM-talk] Deleted nodes on the A3

Richard Bullock rb357 at cantab.net
Mon Dec 8 22:02:04 GMT 2008

>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=51.0413&lon=-0.9116&zoom=14&layers=B000FTF
>> > [1] http://www.openstreetmap.org/api/0.5/way/28755575
>> > [2] http://www.openstreetmap.org/api/0.5/way/28755575/history
>>
>> Looking at at least one of the nodes shown in the history way
>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/api/0.5/way/28755575/history
>>
>> the node display is shown as false
>>
>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/api/0.5/node/21076696/history
>>

> Which means that some of the nodes were deleted from the way but the way
> still exists...

This is exactly what happened with the M62 last month.

Turns out someone had been doing lots of splitting ways to add parts to a
Euro-route relation - and there may have been server communication errors
when edited with Potlatch. The upshot was that one carriageway of the M62
had become a straight line and I think something like 4 nodes remained
(previously around 40-50).

The api, data browser (i.e. www.osm.org/browse/...) and Potlatch still
showed these extra nodes in the way (even though the nodes had been
deleted). JOSM and the data layer showed the correct info.

Interestingly, when I tried to move just one of the nodes in JOSM - and then
I saved it - the api, data browser and Potlatch then reverted to the correct
info (i.e. excluding the deleted nodes).