[OSM-talk] addressing

Elena of Valhalla elena.valhalla at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 11:55:27 GMT 2008

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 12:45 PM, Dave Stubbs <osm.list at randomjunk.co.uk> wrote:
>> sure, editor support isn't 100% yet, but why re-create a poor-man's
>> relations with name-based references, when we already have "proper"
>> relations?
> Because editor support is almost non-existent, and exceptionally confusing :-)

then we should fix the editor(s), not add poor data

> The advantage of using addr:street is that it does just work. The only
> problem being that JOSM isn't clever enough at the moment to
> [...] Of course once
> you've gone to all that trouble you might as well have made the
> backend use a relation instead.

that's exactly the point: the addr:street solution would need quite
some ad hoc work in the editors to become really feasible for ease of
adding, maintenance and robustness; the relation solution would need
some work in the editors that will benefit also when working with
other relations

--
Elena of Valhalla

homepage: http://www.trueelena.org