[OSM-talk] Fwd: Fwd: [OpenStreetMap] GPX Import Failure

Shoan Motwani shoanm at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 12:26:45 GMT 2008

Forgot to mark the list. Sorry.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Tom Hughes <tom at compton.nu>
Date: Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 3:26 PM
Subject: Re: [OSM-talk] Fwd: [OpenStreetMap] GPX Import Failure
To: Shoan Motwani <shoanm at gmail.com>

Shoan Motwani wrote:

> Could it be because I am in Tanzania, Africa? The traces I uploaded
> from India went through just fine. I also notice that it takes several
> minutes to get a satellite connection here compared to India.

Well the actual problem is clearly caused by bogus software which is
outputting silly elevations instead of just leaving out the elevation
data from the trace.

I don't see why it should matter where you are, though if you're
having trouble getting a fix then obviously that may impact on the
chance of you getting a 3D fix that includes an elevation.

The 2D trace looks sensible anyway, which is slightly odd given that
it claims not to have a fix on any satellites...

> Can I make changes to the trace to make it validate? What changes can I make?

Well stripping out the elevation data would be one option as we don't
require that (though we do store it if it present).

Alternatively wait a few hours - the guy that wrote the import daemon
is looking to see what he can do to work round this.

Tom

--
Tom Hughes (tom at compton.nu)
http://www.compton.nu/