[OSM-talk] addressing

Colin McGregor colin.mc151 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 12 19:34:39 GMT 2008

On 12/12/08, Matias D'Ambrosio <angasule at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday 12 December 2008 10:23:37 Ed Loach wrote:
>> I just spotted the following (video) news report on the BBC website:
>> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7778886.stm
>> I don't believe the featured street has been mapped yet
>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=52.37471&lon=-2.3144&zoom=15
>> but it looks like to have addressing tags on it each house would
>> need to be added manually.

>  The messiness of UK and other European countries when it comes to numbering
> is old news, is there anything else on that page? I can't watch the video
> (flash video is a broken idea). Obviously, if there is no logical assignment
> of numbers, or one that is broken too often, mapping each number makes
> sense,
> this thread is not about that.

The above video offers what I hope is an extreme example of street
number craziness in the UK (a street with multiple number "2"s,
etc..). I gather there is similar messiness in parts of Asia, like
street numbers assigned based on the age of the building...

The best arrangement I have seen for street numbers is in Chicago, IL.
Streets laid out on a grid pattern. On the north/south and east/west
streets there is a number -> distance link. If you go from say 1 North
Michigan to 801 North Michigan you will have travelled ~ 1 mile (or if
you go from 1 to 501 you will have travelled ~ 1 kilometer).

Toronto, Ontario things are almost as good. Almost all north/south
street are have the lowest number at the most southern part of the
street (Toronto being unable to go any further south due to Lake
Ontario). On east/west streets the lowest number is almost always the
point closest to Yonge St. (a major north/south street). What Toronto
doesn't have but Chicago does is the link between street numbers and
distance...

> PS: I'm subscribed to this list, no need to CC me.

Colin McGregor