[OSM-talk] osm2go as yet another desktop tool?

Ævar Arnfjörð Bjarmason avarab at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 23:05:28 GMT 2008

On Mon, Dec 15, 2008 at 8:04 PM, Till Harbaum / Lists <lists at harbaum.org> wrote:
> So the question is: This has started as a mobile editor with focus on small
> devices and ease of use. Do you think there's enough demand for yet another
> desktop editor to also support binary distributions for desktop linux machines?

It certainly looks very promising. I downloaded 0.6 and tried it out
and found some minor problems, most/all of which you're probably aware
of.

* The toolbar items don't have any tooltips - I've attached a patch
that fixes this which you may or may not want to use as-is
* When I select a way and try to add a node to a way I can't add a
node where osm2go renders a direction arrow
* It can't handle GPX tracks with multiple embedded tracks ("ignoring
additional track"). This applies to pretty much all of my tracks
* There are no shortcut keys for anything - or maybe there are and
they only work on the nokia device. On the desktop it would be pretty
neat to have "a" for add node, "w" for way, "p" for split way etc etc.
The property dialog has the same problem

But it certainly has potential. Most of the issues I listed are minor
UI issues which are easy to fix and the core looks to be good, and
it's fast & snappy.