[OSM-talk] Disable Potlatch finally.

Richard Fairhurst richard at systemed.net
Tue Dec 16 15:58:40 GMT 2008

Steven Le Roux wrote:

> Why not prefering to consider other solutions ? Why not downloading
> josm as a java web start app and give in the link the bbox from the
> browser ?

http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-au/2008-December/001204.html

is why.

Magically giving JOSM to newbies doesn't stop them making mistakes. It just
means they make mistakes with JOSM rather than with Potlatch.

Now that's not to say that the editors can't be improved to make life easier
and reduce the likelihood of mistakes being made. They can. But the best
ways of making it that happen are:

- submitting patches
- working on the translations
- suggesting ideas (like a conflict resolution UI, for the nth bloody time)
- writing and researching trac tickets
- doing nice community-type things to help beginners (e.g. improving the
pitiful Beginners' Guide on the wiki)

not

- posting flames to the mailing list, which just takes up time which would
be better spent improving the editors

Incidentally:

> this is maybe why I feel close to Gert here... because all the
> pollution, all errors, all unwanted editings are done with potlatch...

is unfounded to put it politely. I see as much "pollution" done with JOSM in
the UK as I do with Potlatch. My greatest bugbear (badly traced rural roads
with really sharp corners, typically one point per 500m) is, curiously,
almost entirely a problem with JOSM users.

I did a bit of research on this earlier in the summer and estimate that
editing in the UK is roughly 50-50 between the two editors. In Germany, I'm
guessing it's 90% JOSM/10% Potlatch. (I've not looked at other countries.)

So, in the UK, you have a bunch of very experienced mappers who mainly use
Potlatch - I could name a bunch of them off the top of my head. But in
Germany, AFAICT, it's mostly newbies who use it. Now look at the number of
Potlatch-related flames from German OSMers as opposed to British ones. You
see?

cheers
Richard